Interview: Grey Cup Snack Swaps
Media outlet: CHCH Morning Live, Hamilton Ontario
Expert guest: Shannon Crocker, RD
Interview Rewind: We review a media interview and offer our expert POV, highlighting strengths and suggestions for improvement. Let’s watch Registered Dietitian Shannon Crocker as she shares her tips for healthier Grey Cup snacks
Topic and Key Messages
- Interview topic was healthy snacks for Grey Cup parties; topic was timely and a newsworthy hook; the interview aired 2 days before the 2014 Grey Cup finals.
- Key message was clear and easy to remember – it’s possible to have healthy Grey Cup game day snacks by swapping in some of the ideas.
- Shannon created a cute and memorable sound bite by calling the recipe a “7-layer Oskie Wee Wee Dip” (Oskie Wee Wee are lyrics in the team cheer for the Hamilton Tiger Cats).
- Many practical tips were offered that addressed common party foods such as pop and chicken wings.
Key Message Delivery
- Shannon led the interview and interacted well with the host Bob Cowan. Good eye contact with the host, and great idea to involve the host in the recipe demo.
- Looked like both Shannon and Bob were having fun. Tone was light and fun.
- Colourful visuals which successfully played on the black/yellow team colours by using black and yellow napkins, yellow bags, lemons, blackberries, black beans, yellow peppers, dark tortilla chips.
- Good layout and flow of visuals. All visuals were mentioned during the interview.
- Great use of the tall water pitcher which added interest and height to the visuals.
- Cute touch to write “Go Cats Go” on the yellow popcorn bags!
- Wardrobe was professional with solid black jacket.
- Suggestion for improvement: For fun, Shannon could have worn a yellow top under her black jacket to play on the team colours theme.
Other Interview Insights
- [Sue]: I’ve been interviewed numerous times by this host Bob and know that he isn’t a savvy cook AT ALL!! Shannon knew this too and was clever in how she involved him in the recipe demo. She tasked him with a minor role to squeeze the lime juice a few times. And even though he added the juice to the wrong bowl at one point in the interview, Shannon went with the flow and thanked him for helping.