Interview: Party without Packing on the Pounds
Media outlet: CTV Morning Live, Winnipeg Manitoba
Expert guest: Gina Sunderland, RD
Interview Rewind: We review a media interview and offer our expert POV, highlighting strengths and suggestions for improvement. Let’s watch Registered Dietitian Gina Sunderland as she shares tips for healthy holiday eating.
Topic and Key Messages
- Interview topic was timely and a newsworthy hook – how to enjoy parties without gaining too much weight; the interview aired in December – just in time for all of the holiday parties!
- Key message was clear and easy to remember – it’s possible to enjoy holiday eating if you follow these easy tips.
- Many practical tips were offered during the interview and the list of tips was also featured twice on a cut away shot.
Key Message Delivery
- Gina interacted well with the host. She not only answered all of the host’s questions, but also gave key messages.
- Good eye contact with the host, and great pace.
- Good easy to remember sound bite: “Drink smart”.
- Suggestion for improvement: For a more relaxed look, perhaps have one hand rest on top of the other hand instead of two closed fists at the start of the interview.
- Colourful visuals and good play on the holiday colours red and green.
- Good layout of visuals and use of the countertop space.
- Suggestions for improvement: Not all visuals were mentioned during the interview. Perhaps work in these visuals earlier during the interview or show fewer visuals next time. When discussing the tip to hold a drink in your dominant hand, it might have been nice to have a visual of a tall glass of water with cranberry juice which would also have added some height to the visuals.
- Wardrobe was professional. Solid blue colours work well on TV!
Other Interview Insights
- Gina shared her key messages and tips ahead of time with the producer. This is a key secret for success as the producer featured the tips on a cut away shot twice. It was a smart strategy to help reinforce the key messages for viewers!